Welcome to the Reedsville Fire Department!
To provide the highest level of emergency services to all that live, work, visit, or invest in our community.
In case of emergency, DIAL 911.
Fire Station: (920) 754-4421
Fax: (920) 754-4060
Email: [email protected]
100 Industrial Park Drive
P.O. Box 369
Reedsville, WI 54230-0369
In May of 1894, the Village Board of Reedsville ordered six fire extinguishers and directed the fire committee to procure hooks, ladders, and a truck for a hook and ladder company. In June, 14 firemen were appointed and directed to elect their own chief and assistant chief. Under the leadership of Chief A. H. Rusch, Reedsville had its first volunteer fire department. By November of 1894 the department was equipped with a hand engine, a hook and ladder wagon, a hose cart, and $364.00 worth of fire hose.
C. G. Hagenow was appointed chief in April of 1895. Herman Boettcher was chief on September 2, 1896 when the Village Board accepted the resignation of the entire department. Twelve days later the men were reappointed after an annual salary of $5.00 each was approved and the official designation was changed form “Committee on Fire and Water” to Fire Department.
In the early days, the firemen were summoned to an emergency by a fire bell on the old village hall located on Manitowoc Street. They pulled their equipment by hand or borrowed any available horses for longer runs. In 1927 the department acquired its first motor-driven truck, a REO Speed Wagon fire trick. Chief Herman Boettcher and the 11 other firemen were much more effective with this unit. They were able to reach the fire scene much faster and their energies were spared for firefighting.
In 1935 the bell was replaced by an electric siren. This allowed anyone to sound the fire alarm rather than the bell ringer to be available. The bell ringer had to be an individual with enough practice to bring out the full tone of the bell.
In 1974 a much welcomed improvement came with the purchase of personal radio monitors. Each fireman was able to receive alarms, messages and directions as his home. In 1980 these were replaced with mobile pagers worn on the belt.
In 1951 an International Harvester pumper was purchased and then in 1953 a Chevrolet water truck. In 1973 they took delivery of their first yellow truck, a 1,000 GPM pumper. All future trucks were to be yellow rather than the traditional red.
At present the department has six vehicles answering fire calls: a 1,250 GPM Engine w/ 6 crew cab; a 1,250 GPM Engine w/ 3 crew cab; a 3,500 gallon tanker; a 1,800 gallon tanker; a equipment van; and a 750 GPM mini-pumper/brush truck.
The 1927 REO is still fully operational since refurbishing but is used mainly for parades. The hand pumper, hook and ladder wagon, and hose cart also are still owned and used for parades. The 1951 and 1953 trucks are stored for future plans. All antique equipment is on display at the Reedsville Fire Department Museum.
The firemen’s skills and equipment have been put to the test on many substantial fires. Among them were: the Reedsville Pea Canning Co.; aiding the Brillion Fire Department battle a fire that engulfed much of Brillion; the Legion Dance Hall in Reedsville; Miller Implement; Manitowoc County Garage in Reedsville; Kabat’s County Gardens; the Reedsville High School; the Reedsville Co-op feed mill.
Besides firefighting, the department has performed many community services. In February 1956, the 50,000 gallons of water in the water tower (currently the west tower) froze and the REO pumper was put to the task of thawing it. The truck pumped for three days steady until the tower was free of ice.
The department was housed at the old village hall on Manitowoc Street from its founding until 1965. That year it moved with the village offices to a new facility on Menasha Street. In July of 1990 the department moved into its own six-bay firehouse complete with meeting room and space for expansion.
Throughout the years the Reedsville Volunteer Firemen have donated much time and many thousands of dollars towards their firefighting equipment. Twice a year every effort is put forth by the firemen to raise additional funds to improve their park and buy equipment.
In June they have their parade and picnic and in October they sponsor a pork chop dinner.
Since 1973 the firemen have had a program for area school children to improve fire safety awareness. It was organized and coordinated with National Fire Prevention Week by Assistant Chief Willard Behnke and his wife, Carol, a teacher at the Reedsville Elementary School. The program is still very effective today thanks to the efforts of Assistant Chief Jeremy Foytik and his helpers.
Reedsville salutes all past and present firemen who devoted their time and skills to organize the department we have. A special thank you to these fire chiefs who served from the founding in 1894 to the present 1991: A.H. Rusch, C.G. Hagenow, Herman Boettcher, Rueben Rusch, C. Kugle, Art Boettcher, I. Kabat, Harland Prochnow, Donald Svacina, James Dietrich, William Schuh, Mike Pautz, and Brad Busse.
Brad Busse is presently Fire Chief. Jeremy Foytik and Todd Maertz are Assistant Chiefs. There are 30 active members.
The Reedsville First Responders are a group of volunteers that respond to a 911 call. They respond before the ambulance service arrives, to provide basic life support and first aid. The unit began when four personnel, namely: Bob Beyer, Dean Bubolz, Ellen Dietrich and Steve Webster, went to the Village Board to ask if there was a need for them in our area. With approval from the Village, these four people went through 42 hours of training through the program at Lakeshore Technical College and thus became the First Certified Responders in July of 1991. In August of that same year, approval was given for the First Responders to sponsor a class of their own to instruct future personnel. Classes started in September 1991 and the following November, eight more members joined the unit.
As a branch of the Reedsville Fire Department, with their own officers, the First Responders went into service in April 1992. They responded to calls with their own personal vehicles. In July 1993, a 1979 Ford ambulance was purchased for $1.00 from the City of Brillion, to be used as a rescue unit for the First Responders. The vehicle needed some body work and Bob’s Classic Auto of Reedsville donated all needed repairs. The rescue unit allowed the unit to better organize their equipment, which is housed at the fire station. The vehicle was put into service in March of 1994. In June of 2000 a 1994 Ford ambulance was purchased to replace the 1979 ambulance. This unit was painted with yellow stripes to match the fire department units. The painting was again donated by Bob’s Classic Auto.
The First Responders are funded by and serve the areas of the Village of Reedsville, and Towns of Maple Grove, Rockland, Cato, and Franklin. They are dispatched through the 911 system and work closely with Valders Ambulance Services. There is no charge for their calls since they are made up entirely of volunteers. On an average they respond to 90 – 110 calls per year.
Being a non-profit organization, they have sponsored raffles and dances with proceeds being used for equipment and refurbishing the rescue unit. A Halloween dance was first held in 1993 at the Firemen’s Park and continues to be an annual event. The First Responders are very active in the community and can be found standing in local wrestling tournaments, speaking to groups such as the Girl Scout and Lions Club. They also make visits to the schools in the district during Fire Prevention Week.
The initial 42 hours of training are mandatory in becoming a First Responder and then every other year they must take a refresher course consisting of 21 hours. It costs an average of $1,400.00 to supply a First Responder with all needed equipment and for the shots they must have.
At the present time, the unit has 11 active members.
Breakfast on the Farm 2013